Here at the Secret Smokehouse we cure & smoke smoked salmon, trout, haddock and kippers the traditional East End of London way using just salt and oak smoke. That's it. We produce very small batches of smoked fish to the highest levels with care, passion and a lot of love. We always are pushing the bar higher and higher due to the demands set by our multiple Michelin Star restaurants & chefs we supply and who also expect the very best for their customers.
We also have two market stalls that we sell at every Saturday, one on Broadway Market and the other in Primrose Hill.
Trainee Smokehouse Assistant Assist the smokehouse Production Manager in day-to-day running from prep work, pin-boning, hand slicing smoked fillets of fish, vac-packing for wholesale orders and also our market stalls. You will help prep the equipment for the fish curing and smoking processes as well as be given extra responsibilities if you show natural aptitude.
Early start, early finish with some longer days when demand is high. Your day starts at 7am ending 4pm with an hour lunch / break.
Our customers are exceptional and they buy only the best and so you need to learn about them and also you need to learn in detail about the smoking process so as informed if asked any questions.
Put simply, we are looking for the best trainee smokehouse assistant to be part of a very tight team striving to be the best and produce the best.
Subject to review: You may be required to set-up and sell at Broadway Market every Saturday engaging in the amazing customers who come back again and again to buy our smoked fish.The day starts at 7:30am and ends at 5:30pm
- Huge amounts of enthusiasm, grit and determination to be part of the BEST fish cures & smokers in the East End of London.
- Exceptional time keeper and all-round discipline
- Goods-in temp check and tractability record
- Follow strict hygiene policy maintaining highest standards of cleanliness at all time
- cleanliness and hygiene are of the utmost importance in the food production area at all times.
- Adhere to exact HACCP procedures and CCP's
- Ideally knife skills
- Think one step ahead at all times to support the smokehouse Production Manager - Willingness to learn with the goal to become a master curer
- Love of fish and the passion for the curing & smoking process
- Amazing interpersonal skills and the ability to chat with customers
- Ability to sell at market stalls and establish relationships with all customers who come back time and time again.
- Education highers / A-levels A-C grades [not essential]
- Kitchen experience [not essential but discipline is]
We are growing business and we are looking to bring onboard an exceptional candidate who cares deeply about striving to the best. The opportunity is here to also grown with the business as we expand. The worlds your oyster as they say!
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: £8.00 /hour raising after probational period