Secret Smokehouse founder, Max, hails from the West Coast of Scotland, where he began smoking fish at a young age. He since trained closer to his new home, Stepney, at London’s Billingsgate Seafood Training School under the watchful eye of Adam Whittle & Charlie Casey OBE.
Keen to stay true to the original ethos and techniques of London’s previous generations of smokers, Max has honed his skills to produce handcrafted oak smoked fish cured in London to the highest possible quality.
After a period working at fishmonger, Max set out alone, launching Secret Smokehouse from his very own back garden. He now smokes salmon, trout, kippers and haddock in Arch 367 next to Hackney’s London Fields, and supplies some of the best in the business—from Michelin Star chefs to London’s most exciting new food ventures.
Secret Smokehouse fish can be found in multiple Michelin Star restaurants including:
- Claude Bosi at Bibendum, Chelsea [2 x Michelin Star chef]
- Bibendum Oyster Bar, Chelsea
- Ellory, Hackney [1 x Michelin Star]
- Marksman Pub, Hackney [Michelin Pub of the Year 2017]
- Wiltons, Mayfair [established in 1742]
- Scott's, Mayfair
- Outlaw's at the Capital, Knightsbridge [1 x Michelin Star]
- Luca, Smithfields
- The Clove Club, Shoreditch [1 x Michelin Star]
- Burberry flagship store, Regent Street
You can buy select products from:
- E5 Bakehouse, Hackney
- H G Walter, W14
- La Fromagerie, Marylebone W1 & Highbury N1
- Farmdrop [click here]
- Fortnum & Mason, Piccadilly
Secret Smokehouse has been featured in…
- ES Magazine
- Oliver Magazine
- Evening Standard
- Time Out
- Foodism Magazine
- Country & Townhouse Magazine
- Lonely Planet Magazine
We're very lucky and extremely honored to have been considered for some awards recently
- Shortlisted Honorary category of Young British Foodies 2017
- Nominated Observer Food Monthly 2017 'Best Producer'