Christmas Land-Based London Smoked Salmon 100g D-Cut Pack
London, 24th May 2023, Secret Smokehouse today announced that it is introducing land-based salmon from hybrid flow-through system [FTS] technology to its UK customers. The land-based salmon comes from a cutting edge technology that aims to provide a more sustainable solution to fish farming, putting aquaculture and fish welfare at the forefront.
Max Bergius, founder and managing director of Secret Smokehouse commented: “We are thrilled to offer this innovative solution to the UK market as part of our commitment to sustainability. We strongly believe that innovation is needed to evolve more sustainable products which provides continual improvements in fish welfare whilst minimising the impact on our planet. Not only is this method potentially better for the environment, the salmon tastes absolutely fantastic and we challenge customers to taste the difference.”
He adds that, “Since 2019, we have been looking for sustainable, land-based salmon options that provide the highest level of flavour and quality we demand for our products. With the hybrid FTS technology, we have seen this level and we are very happy to be the first in the UK to offer this as an alternative solution to our customers. Looking to the future, it is clear there is no single salmon production solution that ticks all the environmental, social and governance [ESG] boxes. Open net sea farming, off-shore and on-shore farming will all be important to support the growth of a sustainable aquaculture industry with tighter legislation and other factors have to be considered, depending on the local environment conditions and infrastructure. It is also clear that this is a period with many new opportunities, perhaps some learnings still to come but we believe FTS is so far the most interesting option currently available.”
The salmon comes from a FTS technology from a land-based aquaculture production facility that raise salmon in a highly controlled environment out of the sea and, importantly, protects the fragile marine aquaculture.
The benefits of FTS salmon production include:
- Higher fish welfare, thanks to an optimised environment for fish growth and welfare
- with control of temperature, water quality, feeds, and other environmental parameters
- Enables local production, meaning facilitates can be built closer to populated areas resulting in lower transportation costs/carbon footprint
- Reduced fish mortality rates
- Control and collection of fish waste to reduce pollution discharge to the fragile marine aquaculture and recovering nutrients
- Enhanced biosecurity
- protecting fish from pathogens or predators - and lice reduction
- Protecting wild fish populations and surrounding aquamarine environment, including preventing escapees, which otherwise could be a potential cause to decrease in wild stock levels
Products are available to buy from Secret Smokehouse website [click here]. The Land-Based London Smoked Salmon is offered in addition to our existing products. We continue to source the very best farmed salmon and trout from Scotland with its RSPCA High Welfare standards plus our haddock and herring both sourced from British quota controlled waters.
Can you tell the difference in flavour? Your feedback counts hugely.
20 DAY SHELF LIFE & SUITABLE FOR FREEZING
Weight: 100g approx
- Sustainable land-based SALMON (FISH) (Salmo salar) 97%
- Salt 3%
- ALLERGENS are identified in CAPS BOLD type
- Although every care has been taken to remove all bones some may remain
Storage: Keep refrigerated between 0° to 5°C. Consume within 3 days of opening the pack. Do not exceed the use by date.
Category of fishing gear: n/a
This product will be sent out to you on 18th & 19th December or you have the option to in-store pick-up. Simply select the option at checkout.
Free DPD delivery on orders over £100. For orders under £100, the delivery cost is £5.99. All Christmas orders will be sent out between the 18th & 19th December.
Place your Christmas order online and pick up in-store. Please bring your confirmation email when you come to collect your order. Pick-up will be avaiable from 18th December at our shop located at 378 Mentmore Terrace, London E8 3PH until Sunday 24th until 1pm.
For Christmas FAQ's, Delivery Terms & Info please [click here]